Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
Cornwall Loyal Orange Lodge No. 417
No further information at this time.
Monroe Loyal Orange Lodge No. 880
Loyal Orange Lodge No. 880 in Cornwall, Ontario received its warrant in 1857 and would later become incorporated in 1895 as Monroe Loyal Orange Lodge in honour of Brother Duncan Monroe.
Duncan Monroe, a Presbyterian, was known as Cornwall's "Insurance King". He was instrumental in forming a committee of local businessmen in April 1887 to establish the Stormont Electric Light and Power Company. They pooled their resources and bought the Hodge Woolen Mill power site for $25,000 and installed 500 light generators. In four months, the main streets of Cornwall were lit by electricity.
Duncan was a founding member of a men’s fraternal club “The Cornwall Club” at 42 Second Street in 1886. He was also a member of the “Sons of Scotland”, the “St. Andrew’s Society” and last but not least, Loyal Orange Lodge No. 880. He became the Worshipful Master of No. 880 in 1895. He was also benefactor of the Cornwall High School Cadet Corps along with Mrs. John McMartin, who outfitted them with kilts making it one of the few kilted squadrons in the province.
The Lodge's Orange Hall was once located at 104 Pitt Street in the downtown core of the city. Unfortunately the Lodge became inactive in the early 1980's.
104 Pitt Street is now the home of Melody Music Centre (ground floor) and BCDC Dance Studio (second floor).
The house at 434 Sydney Street, Cornwall, Ontario was built in 1886 by Duncan Monroe who constructed several homes on the west side of Sydney Street and south of Fifth Street and rented them to employees. The homes were featured in the Cornwall Old Boys Reunion of 1906 as the “Monroe Cottages.” After Duncan Monroe’s death, the people living in the houses could buy them for $9000.