Royal Enniskillen L.O.L. No. 27
Shawville, Quebec, Canada
About the Lodge
Royal Enniskillen Loyal Orange Lodge No. 27 of Shawville, Quebec has a long and rich history as the oldest Orange Lodge in the Pontiac County.
Once the people of Clarendon Township (mainly Irish) had cleared their land and built their houses and buildings, they chose to organize the Orange Lodge, an institution familiar to them in Ireland.
Royal Enniskillen Loyal Orange Lodge No. 27, Clarendon Center, Canada was incorporated on October 24th, 1843 with the Grand Orange Lodge of British America issuing the lodge warrant to Thomas Corrigan.
The Lodge has an important place in the development of the community over the years. Members of the Lodge have been taught life skills and Christian values and encouraged to be involved in the social and benevolent activities of their community. Over the years, many of its members have been involved in the affairs of the municipalities, school boards, churches, service organizations, and community events.
Over the years, the Orange Family has demonstrated benevolence with contributions towards improvements for hospital patients, the Snowsuit Fund, and other areas where a community need was identified.
Royal Enniskillen Loyal Orange Lodge No. 27 has been an organization where many of the families of the community were members.
The Worshipful Master of Loyal Orange Lodge No. 27 in 2014 was a descendent of Thomas Corrigan who in 1843 received the warrant for the Lodge.
The Orange Hall has been a community meeting place over the years for its members and the community at large.
Mayfred Horner Dodds in "By Water and Word - A History of the Shawville United Church" records that after the 1906 Shawville fire that destroyed the Methodist Church, the Orange Hall was one location where the congregation met until the new congregation built their church. Many dances, recitals and social events were held at the Hall with proceeds going to an identified need.
The current Orange Hall in Shawville officially opened in October 1971 and was built by members of the Lodge with assistance from the community at large to replace the previous hall that was torn down by members during the winter of 1964-1965. Construction started in Spring of 1965 and they moved into the new hall that fall.
October 24th, 1843
Photos from the 2019 Rideau-St. Lawrence Regional County Orange Parade held in Carleton Place, Ontario.