Devitt Loyal Orange Lodge No. 43
Devitt's Corners, Ontario, Canada
About the Lodge
Devitt Loyal Orange Lodge No. 43 received its warrant in 1847 in the town of Devitt's Corner's, Ontario. The first Worshipful Master was Matthew Devitt who was born March 13th, 1815 in Fermanagh County, Ireland.
Matthew was a Wesleyan Methodist that came to Canada in 1827 and settled first in West Gwilliambury in 1827 and then Cartwright between 1839-1840. The Bowmanville Canadian Statesman mentions that Matthew served the Crown during the 1837 Rebellion. He married Rachel Girvin (daughter of Charles Girvin and Rachel Carlton) in about 1840. They would go on to have ten children; Elizabeth, Ann May, twins John and Charles, Rachel, Matthew, Ellen Jane "Nellie", George Wright, Caroline and Samuel.
In June 1840, Matthew purchased 200 acres (all of lot 19, Concession 3) in Cartwright Township from Charles J. Dunlop and later gave land on his farm to the Wesleyan Methodist Church. While the church has been gone for many years, Devitt's Cemetery still remains. The Orange Hall was located across from the Cemetery on the southeast side of Devitt's Corners.
Matthew passed away on November 8th, 1860 in Cartwright Township in Ontario as a result of falling from a wagon with a run away team of horses.